David Noland comes to the firm from the great state of New York. He is an experienced education litigator and advocate. He is a graduate magna cum laude of Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and Associate Editor of the Cardozo Law Review. He holds an undergraduate degree in Government and Legal Studies and Sociology from Bowdoin College in Maine. Prior to joining Tharrington Smith, David was an associate at Debevoise & Plimpton in New York, where his practice focused on complex litigation, including shareholder class actions, antitrust litigation, and white collar investigations.
David was counsel of record in a landmark constitutional challenge to the state educational funding system in Connecticut. The multi-year litigation culminated in a five month trial, followed by an appeal before the Connecticut Supreme Court. In connection with his work on the Connecticut litigation, David served as a Visiting Clinical Lecturer in Law at Yale Law School during the Spring 2018 semester.
- Bowdoin College Brunswick, Maine
- A.B., Government and Legal Studies and Sociology June 2005
- J.D., magna cum laude May 2010 Order of the Coif; Cardozo Law Review, Associate Editor
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law New York, New York
Memberships & Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar
- New York State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Note, Finding Fault with Defaults: New York Courts’ Inconsistent Application of Issue Preclusion to Default
Judgments, 31 CARDOZO L. REV. 941 (2010).
- Panelist, Trial Practice Panel, Education Law Center Litigators’ Workshop (2016).
- Presenter to City Bar of New York Pro Bono Committee on Connecticut education litigation (2017).
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP (New York, New York)
- Litigation Associate November 2010 – September 2017